24.10.08

Answers (again)

Well I guess I'll have to get at it again :P

Actually like to answer question. I don't get much of them on the french side of this blog. So I'm kinda happy to do it here. Ok so I'll answer as I read the comments.

First:
Moi-> Depends of what you mean by vegetarian foods. If you are vegetariena but still eat eggs and fish, Japan is like the vegetarian Paradise. If you don't eat fish or eggs, you're screwed. And by screwed I mean don't come near japan cause a meal without meat (fish or not) is absolutely impossible in most restaurant.

Claudiu-> I don't know who you might be but I'm happy taht your ead my blog. To answer your question: No. Didn't see any western comics here. Not in that library at the café, not anywhere in any library I went too. And God only know how many libraries I visited in the last 2 weeks. I was looking for children's books. You know, to practice reading in japanese.

Shinka-> Actually, in my host family, they had a lot of foreigners. So oka-san, now, is more like a nickname than the actual "mother" thing. But I must admit that I feel weird every time I say it.

Shinka (again)-> Actually the beer is cheap and delicious. Except for the Sapporo. I don't know why. Cause back in Canada the sappora we have there is actaully really good. Here it tastes like shit. But in bars, the beer actually cost a lot more. I don't know why but clubing in tokyo is really expensive. When you buy drink for a girl you better hope she want to sleep with you cause it can cost you easily 50 bucks for bnot much really.

Shinka (2nd again)-> I'm leaving in Kachidoki which is in Chuo-ku. It is a small artificial island about 30 minutes from Tokyo center. It's a residential area with only primary schools and kindergarden. Actually a nice place.

Shinka (3rd again)-> You sure ask a lot of question bud. But I actually like it. So... for the host family. This trip cost me 4500 canadian bucks. In which you have 1200 for the airplane tickets, half and half for the living cost of the fmaily and the class cost. So more or less 1500$ for the host family and 1500$ for the institute. The intitute is the Kudan Institute of cultural learning and language.... or something like. Just type Kudan Institute in google and you should find something. This thing is hosted by GEOS. Their main objective is simply to bring people to learn other languages. I'm in Japan right now, but they actually have options for germans, english, french, spanish, portugese and norway. And maybe more.
The price of this trip include the host family fees, which include a breakfeast and a diner. I hav to pay for my lunch. Everywhere i go with my host fmaily, the food is paid, but alone I have to pay for it. I have classes every weekdays from 9:10 to 12:40. We actually have two teachers. And in fact the classes here are good enough that they can bring you to take the japanese standard test of language. Or something like that. Basically if you suceed to that test, you are, by the japanese laws, fluent in japanese. Usually every lunch cost me around 1000 yens. SOmetimes more, sometime less. but with 1000 yens you can be assured you'll get a decent lunch. The subway cost me daily around 1000 yens too. I have over 15 000 yens spent only for transportation since i'm here. SO i presume that by the end of the month I'll have nearly 200$us in transportation fees alone.
So that's the basic. I could say that i cash nearly 800 yens of alcohol a day. but that would mean that i basically 1 and half liter of beer every day. Which is not false. But not a necessary expense.
And I would like to add that the institute here is really effective. They teach japanese in japanese so you learn fast. Still not fast enough to my taste, but still a little faster than I thought. In one semester i won't be able to really speak japanese well. But i'll be able to actually follow a simple conversation and be able to tell simple facts like where i'm going, when, with who. What the color of the dog... you know the basics. If you want to fo to Japan to actually learn Japanese, I think that the Kudan Institute is for you. But, god help you, take time to learn your hiraganas and katakanas first or you'll regret it.

2 comments:

The One and Only Moi said...

Vegetarian Paradise for me~! HEHE!!! Yeah, I'm starting to teach myself Japanese. Starting with Hiragana! But its quite tough. I can only recognise a few characters. And most of them look so similar to each other with just one stroke difference that I get confused. But the key to this thing is time and practise right? ^^

Anonymous said...

THANKS DUDE!!!! Awesome info, seriously, this came in VERY handy.

If you don't mind it, I'll talk a bit about my plan.

I want to, from august next year, to go to Japan for 1 whole year to exclusivly learn japanese. That means that I have to convince my parents, since I can't afford all that by myself, and that means handing them a "business plan" or the sort, with approximate expenses, etc, etc.

Once again, THANK YOU!!!!!